Me in front of a banana tree - photo by Chad Lebo

Monday, March 14, 2011

Introduction

(Voir la prochaine page pour français)
Hi, allow me to introduce myself. My name is Martine Dugal.
On Thursday June 2, 2011 I will be embarking on a journey to Madagascar. When I first started planning my trip, I was more interested in what hotel to choose with my limited budget and could I afford to eat at such and such a restaurant.

As I was searching the web for any bit of information I could get my hands on about Madagascar, I fell upon a web site about Akany Avoko, a children home in Madagascar. I immediately fell in love.  I was touched by the work that was being done. They shelter and nurture children and youths in need, help and encourage a safe return to society and find and share ways to stop poverty that help to conserve the environment.  (Please refer to their website and blog that I have added at the bottom.)

I started talking about the center to my surrounding and how I wanted to do something and was overcome with people’s desire to help. This encouraged me to push forward and attempt to raise funds for Akany Avoko. Communications have threfore started with the center and they are now expecting me upon my arrival in Madagascar.

This is the part where you all come in. I am basically writing this blog in order to kindly ask for your help as well as to keep all informed of the progress.  Because this is not a recognised International charity, I will publish all donations on this blog and therefore make public exactly how much I am able to raise and where the money is spent. I have just learned that it will be possible for the center to issue charitable donation receipts for large donation. I still need to get confirmation as to the amount. 
Please understand that I am not looking at starting a big non-profit organisation, I just want to help out these kids and join my efforts to others who want the same thing.

The plan is to raise funds to purchase goods once I arrive in Madagascar, ie: Baby formula, clothing, etc. (I wanted to bring things from Canada but it is proving difficult). This will be a good way to encourage the local economy and for the most part, items are much less expensive over there. 
I promise to take lots of picture and video to let you see for yourself how much you have helped.

Please stay posted for the different fundraising events that will take place very soon.
I have already started to plan a bake sale at my office and have a few other plans in the make.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any ideas for raising money or to donate money yourself. Thank you for your time and generosity!

Here are a few links:

3 comments:

  1. My hat is off to you, Martine. Your actions are extremely admirable. As soon as you get there and see them you’ll get such a rush, you’ll embark on an emotional rollercoaster, but in the end you’ll feel a sense of fulfillment like no other! To me it’s one of the greatest feelings in the world! "You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you." - John Bunyon

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the best Martine! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck on the bake sale and tell me if I can do anything from here!!
    Annabelle

    ReplyDelete